Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 06:52:11 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: regarding tyhe recent disc drives conversation...

In message <E15lS2Y-0005AQ-00@mailhost.firstcallgroup.co.uk>, Pete
French write
s:
> is thhere any advantage to be gained by mounting a disc synchronous, but with
> soft updates enabled ? will not the effect o softupdates be to cancel out
> any benificial effects of having the data written to the disc synchronously
> as the meta data that describes it will not be written out until some
> later time - thus if a power outage occurs the data will still be lost ?

Mounting disks sync/async and softupdates are mutually exclusive.  Once
the softupdates flag has been set in the superblock a filesystem cannot
be written to synchronously or asynchronously.  You can think of
softupdates as ordered synchronous metadata writes asynchronously.
Metadata is written asynchronously to memory, ordered, then written out
synchronously in batches in such a way that it is only 3% slower than
asynchronously written metadata, giving you virtually the speed of
asynchronous metadata writes with the reliability of synchronous
metadata writes.

I supposed I've made it as clear as mud.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD
Ministry of Management Services
Province of BC