Date:      Sun, 17 May 1998 19:58:12 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Alexey Lukin <al@cn.ua>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Missing sio0 and sio1 (was: HELP! Please, HELP!)

On Sun, 17 May 1998 at 12:04:52 +0300, Alexey Lukin wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:

> I giot the same sort of problems with different new motherboards.
> Well, the SIO detection code is TOO sophisticated and does not recognise
> MOST of on-board 16550 sios.

I haven't heard anybody claim that before.  Can you substantiate this
claim?  Which motherboards have you used?  What UARTs do they use?
Did the patch work with all of them?

In any case, code which doesn't recognize all UARTS is not *too*
sophisticated.

> So, developers of SIO driver should re-write a bit SIO code to fit new
> chips.

And break the old ones?

At the moment, we don't know that this affects more than a fraction of
all motherboards.  Yuri wasn't confident enough to commit this patch
(which, so far, has always worked), because he was afraid it might
break the majority for whom the current code works.

> I found somewhwre in maillist this link to apropriate patches:
>

>> Yes, and add in some patches.  See:
>>
>>        http://nest.bistbn.com/~yury/FreeBSD/sio.patch/sio.patch.2.2.5-R
>>
>> for the patch.  The patches liberalize the sio probe a bit since your chip
>> doesn't act like a real UART.
>
> I saw there also patch for 2.2.6-R

Right.  Those are the patches that I referred to.  My version includes
a little explanation.

Greg