Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 1997 14:06:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        "Eric C. S. Dynamic" <ecsd@transbay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a number of random questions.

On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Eric C. S. Dynamic wrote:

> 1. I've heard there is support for Connectix QuickCam. Where do I find
>    out more, how do I distinguish color vs. b/w for the system or is
>    that automatic.
yes but I only have a black&white..
I don't know  about colour..
there are several utilities.
qcamcontrol (/usr/sbin) know about the black and white ones

you need toe driver in the kernel
(qcam)

some prgrams (xfqcam) access the ports directly.

> 2. I've heard that Alpha is now supported. Yes? Up to 600MHz?

no
you're thinking of NetBSD

> 3. I've been wanting to establish a mirror site for a while. When I ask
>    what I'll have to establish, I don't get workable answers.
>    I understand about being inserted in the DNS as some numbered host,
>    but I can't get any details as to what I'll have to do to support
>    sup, cvsup, which sets of collections it would be desired for me to
>    host, how my site will be kept in sync with momma, etc. If someone
>    would like to fill me in on this or assist me, I can maybe unload
>    a bit of ftp & c. bandwidth from walnut creek.
I can't tell you exactly, but there are mentions somewhere in the web page
about this.

> 4. Can I run routed and mrouted on the same machine without causing
>    headaches?
yes

> 5. What sort of 'programme' is there for freebsd folks to go after
>    major vendors to offer to port popular commercial products to
>    freebsd? I hassle vendors now and then, symantec, netscape, adobe,
>    etc. but of course they never reply with anything useful.

no organised program.

> 6. Does anyone know what I do to enable Apache to handle the "microsoft
>    front page extensions"?
>
> 7. Whatever happened to 'units'?
eh?

> 8. Instead of being a ditz, I should (a) subscribe to which freebsd
>    mailing lists, (b) which pertinent newsgroups?
questions and hackers and isp

> 9. We run a computer storefront, and would like to advocate FreeBSD
>    as a more-than-viable component of an office network. We have
>    sold a few "FreeBSD systems" to businesses and educational
>    institutions as servers. Toward this end we're going to try to
>    showcase FreeBSD in as much glory as we can shower on it, and
>    try to install as many applications on it as possible to show
>    that one can do most or even all of what one might like to do
>    with a machine without having to use a Microsoft product.
>    We'll also try to beef up to be a support center for installed
>    free-Unix systems (FreeBSD, then Linux if necessary.)
>    Therefore, I'd like to find where to intersect with the freebsd
>    'organization' to keep current on events and to work with folks
>    who know of cool things that can be used on freebsd. Anyone
>    wishing to give me assistance can reach me at ecsd@transbay.net.
good idea..