Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 19:09:44 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Ceren Ercen <ceren@magnesium.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSSCA?

Ceren Ercen said on Oct 10, 2001 at 10:04:37:

> > That's what they say.  The only thing they're really after is music
> > swapping over the internet.

> No, they really are after devices like the Rio.

Sorry, I should have said "the main thing they're after right now".
That is, while they would love to make everyone pay for music used on
mobile phone rings, doorbells, answering machines, whatever, I'm
pretty sure they'd settle for a law which focussed on
computers/internet -- especially if they thought it would be
unrealistic to deal with everything else.

Or maybe they'd want something about "devices which reproduce or
perform copyright-protected content" which would exempt toasters and
the like.  (But for how long?  Maybe we'll see copyright or patent
protection for bread recipes in the near future.  This unique mix of
cereals, etc.)