Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2000 17:47:51 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Ryan Thompson" <ryan@sasknow.com>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FrontPage server publishing

From: "Ryan Thompson" <ryan@sasknow.com>
> I've been fighting with the FrontPage extensions for a while (installed
> from the apache13-fp port under FreeBSD 3.4).  I've created a virtual
> host, an account on the system, and I "Installed" (option 1) the FrontPage
> extensions to the virtual server using fpsrvadm.exe, and the process
> completed.  The target directory now contains all the _vti_* directories,
> .htaccess, etc.  I can browse pages on the virtual host from anywhere,
> but:
>
> a) Some FrontPage components do not work (hit counter, marquee, etc)
> b) When I try to publish a site, Microsoft FrontPage (NT) reports:

Do the FP extentions work on the default Root Web?

> At the same time, the httpd process that fielded the request dies with a
> sig 11, and nothing appears in the Apache error log except a notice of the
> sig 11.  So, I bet the server is probably confounded by the request, dies,
> and, as a result, only a partial or empty response is sent to the client,
> which explains the error message, above.
>
> Has anyone else witnessed this?  Solutions?

Normally, when you get the sig 11 when trying to connect with the Frontpage Client it indicates that the server is not running as
the correct user for the suexec program or the installed suexec program wasn't patched for the Frontpage Extensions.

Look in /usr/local/sbin, is suexec in this directory?

Does it's date/time correspond to the date/time the httpd program was installed?

By default the port builds suexec to expect the Apache server to run as user www.

Do you have a user www in your password file?

Does the httpd.conf file have the User directive set to the www user?

Try rebuilding the port with:

    make clean
    make build -DSUEXEC HTTPD_USER=<user>
    /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh stop
    pkg_delete apache_fp-1.3.12
    make install
    /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh start

Then try and connect to the server.

Normally, when I create a Virtual Web I use the following script:

$cat mkvirt
#!/bin/sh
FPSRV=/usr/local/frontpage/version4.0/bin
HTTPD_CONF=/usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf

${FPSRV}/fpsrvadm.exe -o install  -t apache-fp \
    -s ${HTTPD_CONF} -p 80 -m $1 -u fpadmin -pw <passwd>

And you use the script as:

    mkvirt www.virtualhost.org

NOTE: you'll want to chmod 0500 this file in order to protect the password

Scot