Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2002 11:19:23 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
Cc:        nectar@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/contrib/bind FREEBSD-Xlist

-On [20020208 10:15], John Hay (jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za) wrote:
>So are they then selective of what they put on their security page?
>
>http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind-security.html

I am not saying they're selective, but I know Kris did some fixing for
potential problems.

>Or are we just lucky that the dark side haven't turned their efforts
>to v9 servers yet?

I think so.  BIND 8 is still the major player out there.  As soon as,
say, FreeBSD would ship with BIND 9 in the base, you can be sure
attention will shift.

I mean, it is ironic that one person already found a heap of potential
problem areas on a single sweep, whereas the piece of software claims to
have been rewritten from scratch to ensure more security [IIRC the texts
correctly].  Of course, a rewrite is a daunting task, but do not flaunt
around stating the improved security and auditing when one person points
out a bunch of problematic cases.

Caveat emptor.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven / asmodai / Kita no Mono / xMach coreteam
asmodai@[wxs.nl|xmach.org], finger asmodai@ninth-circle.org