Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:42:20 +1100
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tar to file or tar to device ?

> IIUC, tar to a device, in my case /mnt/zip, treats the whole disk like a big
> tar file, not allowing any other use, correct?

Assuming you mean /dev/zip rather than /mnt/zip, then yes, you're accessing
the device itself, and you will blow away any information already on the
disk; such as the "data" that represents the filesystem.

If you really mean /mnt/zip, then you probably have the disk mounted, in
which case you're writing to a file on the device.

>                                                   While tar to a file on
> that device allows other files to be stored there as well, correct?  Is
> there any advantage to one approach over the other?

Yes, and yes.  How the advantages stack up depends on what you really want
to do with the disk.

If you tar directly on to the device, then you'll be able to squeeze on
slightly more data (because you're not reserving space for the filesystem).
The difference, however, will be fairly small.  Another consideration is
that if you want to use the disk somewhere that you aren't the sys admin,
you may be able to access the disk but not mount it.  And also the file
"should" be retrievable on most UNIX and UNIX-like systems; where the
choice of filesystem type may limit the systems on which you can access
the data.

Now if you have your ZIP disk formatted for DOS--much as I hate it--you
can probably access it on most systems (Windoze, Mac, many UNIX and
UNIX-like systems).  Whether they can do anything with the tar file
when they get it is another issue...

There are some other points, but these are the ones that have typically
been important to me.  I'll leave others to point out the ones that have
been important to them.

Cheers,
Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319