Date:      Sat, 02 Oct 2004 19:27:21 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        tillman@seekingfire.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Protection from the dreaded "rm -fr /"

In message: <20041002165155.GP35869@seekingfire.com>
            Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com> writes:
: On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 10:42:16AM -0500, Sean Farley wrote:
: > Why not default on?  root will not run 'rm -rf /' on purpose very often.
: > Once will be enough.  :)  Also, when and why would someone want to do
: > this?
:
: Exactly. Who would expect `rm -rf /` to actually succeed? It's not only
: dangerous, it doesn't work in a useful way ;-)

I would.  I would expect it to work in a chroot I no longer wanted,
for example.

Warner