Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 15:19:57 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        CNNet <cnnet@cnnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Samba Help

CNNet writes:
 > Hi could someone please help us in setting up Samba?
 >
 > We have the server software installed and it is up and running the trouble
 > we are have is with the smb.conf file
 >
 > We can see the share but when we click on it it asks for a password and
 > that is as far as we can get.
 >
 > We have win 95 clients trying to access this server.
 >
 > How do we add users so that they can access the share do we add them to
 > Unix ie with the adduser command and then give them permissions I am confused.
 >
 > If someone out there has step by step instructions this would be
 > appreciated, as well as an example smb.conf file

There are tons of documentation for samba. Even in the ports-tarball.
Have a look into the doc-directory. Read "man 5 smb.conf". As a hint,
have a special look at the following keywords in "man 5 smb.conf":

guest account =

Give it the username of an unprivileged user

security = share

security = user will always ask for passwords

public = yes in the shares you want to be publicly available

Malte.