Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 16:46:48 -0500
From:      Jay Sachs <sachs@cs.williams.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mount zip disk not as root?

I'm running a FreeBSD box (2.2, supped to stable) on an
otherwise-Sun/Solaris network. NIS is running. This machine has an IDE
cdrom & zip drive.

An ls -l of /dev/ shows all wfd0* and rfd0* to be in group
operator. This is also true of /dev/wcd0*. I've verified that the permissions on /dev/wfd0* and /dev/rwfd0* to be 660,
and they're all in group operator.

In /etc/group, "sachs" is listed as being in group operator, which is
group ID 5; however, NIS reports group 5 to be uucp.

I can mount the cdrom fine without su-ing. When I try to mount the zip
drive, though, I get:

  hamburger% mount /dev/wfd0s4 ~/mnt
  /dev/wfd0s4 on /home/cs-faculty/sachs/mnt: Operation not permitted

As root, I can mount and use the zip disks without problems.

Why am I able to manipulate the cdrom but not the zip drive? What must
I do (other than su) in order to be able to mount zip disks?

-Jay