Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:47:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        sleek@enabled.com (Noah Garrett Wallach)
Cc:        jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu (Jerry McAllister), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Drive Failure

> > > I dont know what this option means - does this matter?
> > >
> > >      -B      Install the `boot0' boot manager.  This option causes MBR
> > > code to
> > >              be replaced, without affecting the embedded slice table.
> >
> > Sounds like just what you said you wanted.
>

> Hi Jerry,
>
> What does "without affecting the embedded slice table" mean?  What si the
> embedded slice table?  And should I make sure that I dont affect it - or
> should I affect it?

It is the table that specifies the drives slices - 1-4,
what it thinks is in them and a flag which says which one is
active - to booted from.  It is what gets printed when you
do    fdisk -s ad2     or whatever drive.

> also is there anyway to see that, after replacing the MBR on the new
> drive with boot0cfg, that it is properly bootable?

The above will tell you which slice is bootable, which in this case
would only be slice 1 since you are only making one slice.  The other
possible slice identifiers (2-4) are not being used.  But, it can't
tell you if it is proper.  Only trying to boot it will tell you that.
So, do a little smoke testing.   Jump.  Dive in.

If you are doing all this without backing things up, you're
courting disaster anyway.

////jerry