Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 2004 07:42:36 -0800
From:      "Eric Yellin" <eric@migvan.co.il>
To:        "freeBSD" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Anyway to recover wiped data? And  why did kernel fail to load?

I recently installed FreeBSD 5.2.=20
Something happened that cause all data on all partitions to be wiped. =
I'd like help on the following:=20

1. What did I do wrong?
2. Is there a way to restore lost data

Here is what I did:
1. About 2 weeks ago I installed Release 5.2 from FTP + ports and many =
packages: apache, MySQL, Postfix, Webmin(SSL), Listserv and several =
others.
2. At some point FTP and SSH login started becoming very slow
3. I decided to reboot the system and it did not come up. Instead I got =
a message saying that the kernel was not loaded. I could not load it in =
anyway.
4. Searched the web for help on fixing this situation but could not find =
anyway to restore the kernel other than reinstalling.
5.I decided to reinstall the system assuming that data would be kept.=20
6. Actually first I used the sysinstall option called Upgrade. When =
going into it, it took me at some point to the partition editor, there I =
noticed that all the partitions were of the correct size but had no =
mount point. after changing the mount point to the original names and =
quitting a message came on saying it was running fsck or something =
similar. The system seemed to be stuck but may have been doing =
something. After several minutes I decided to boot the system. Again, It =
may have been in the middle of a process... Could this have caused =
damage?
7. Went to sysinstall and installed the base package again. I once again =
had to define the mount points.
8. After finishing a successful installation I booted the system and =
FreeBSD came up with no problems. However all my data was gone...=20

I was not too surprised that root, /var and /usr were wiped however I =
have a partition named /web that held the data and it also is empty. =
That seems strange to me. Nothing in the installation wrote to this =
partition.
I have a partial backup, however data is updated all the time and I seem =
to have lost lot's of data on /web

Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric