Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 20:00:36 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, grog@lemis.com, chat@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: major push by spammers?

"Jonathan M. Bresler" wrote:
> > The stuff in FreeBSD's sendmail rules workds well, no doubt about that,
> > but it is not failsafe. If your DNS is a bit slow, you can lose mail.
>
> 	hmm....not sure that i agree with you.
> 	if w are slow to resolve, the error code is 451, a temp error,
> 	meaning try again later.  the spammers databases dont use DNS.
> 	and RBL is failsafe.....so can you explain it to me?
>
> 	i dont understand.

I'm looking at the rules again, and I'm confused. I have seen
legitimate mail from freebsd/hub.freebsd.org being bounced with a 500
code when DNS was ropey. I cannot figure out this happened from the
rules I have. I'll go with mea culpa unless proven otherwise :-).

I meant:

The ruleset that I have (committed by Peter?) looks up the domain of
incoming mail. if it does not check, the mail is rejected. If the DNS
does not answer in time, the mail is bounced for the same reason.

Vixies RBL works in reverse; the spammer's IP is checked on connection.
If the RBL resolves the IP (PTR-style) to 127.0.0.2 then the mail is
rejected. If DNS fails, the mail is accepted by default.

Mark Murray