Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 1999 09:17:42 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD current users <FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Remote serial gdb--status?

On Friday, 18 June 1999 at 13:45:42 -0600, Wes Peters wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>>
>> I've been away from work for several weeks, and I now find that I can
>> no longer start remote serial gdb.  I am using sio0 on the debugged
>> machine side, and sio1 on the debugging machine side.  Here are the
>> relevant dmesg outputs:
>>
>> panic (debugged machine):
>>
>> sio0: system console
>> sio0: gdb debugging port
>> sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x90 on isa0
>> sio0: type 16550A
>>
>> freebie (debugging machine):
>>
>> sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
>> sio1: type 16550A
>> sio1: interrupting at irq 3
>>
>> I can communicate fine using cu, and a breakout box shows all modem
>> signals asserte (DCD, DTR, DSR, RTS, CTS).  When I go into remote
>> debug on panic, RxD flashes, and when freebie tries to attach to
>> panic, TxD flashes, so I'm obviously addressing the correct ports.
>> I've checked the bit rate and configuration of the ports before going
>> into debug, and they look right (9600 bps, cs8, -istrip, -parenb).  I
>> don't know what else to look for.  Any ideas?
>
> I think you need flags 0x50 (instead of 0x90) on panic.  From sio(4):
>
>      Meaning of flags:
>            0x00010   device is potential system console
>            0x00020   device is forced to become system console
>            0x00040   device is reserved for low-level IO (e. g. for remote
>                      kernel debugging)

In fact, it was all OK.  The serial port seems to be flaky.  It works
OK at 9600 bps, but drops characters at 38400.  I'm still
investigating whether this is hardware or software: it seems to work
fine in normal mode, but when it's in serial debug mode it can often
drop two characters at a time, and there's no overrun indication.

Greg