Date:      Fri, 07 Aug 1998 00:24:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How long a wait?

I have a question and I hope this is the right list..  How long is the normal
turn around for a response to a non-critical PR?  A friend of mine who runs an
ISP submitted a PR (6269) that turns on an extra option for AMD K5 and K6
CPU's.  He says that it gave his AMD-based webserver a whopping 15% performance
increase!  He submitted it on Apr 10 of this year (almost 4 months ago) and no
one has bothered to even reply to it or anything.  As a result, he's somewhat
disappointed and not to eager to contribute code in the future as he just
thinks he'll get blown off.  Of the programmers that I actually know
personally, he's the best, and I'd hate for him to not make any further
contributions.  So, how are PR patches normally handled?  Do you wait for
enough people to try it out and respond saying it works?  I'm just curious, and
I wouldn't mind FreeBSD having a patch committed that increases performance by
15% on some machines.  Please cc me in replies as I'm not subscribed to
questions, thanks.

John Baldwin
-- jobaldwi@vt.edu -- jbaldwin@freedomnet.com --
 ---- http://www.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/ ----
"I waited for the Lord on high/I waited and He heard my cry." - Petra