Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2018 11:38:21 -0400
From:      Chad Jacob Milios <freebsd-list@nuos.org>
To:        Erich Dollansky <freebsd.ed.lists@sumeritec.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CoC does not help in benchmarks

<freebsd.ed.lists@sumeritec.com> wrote:
>=20
> you mean, the money spent on the CoC would not helped to develop =
better
> code by getting people willing to code for the same amount of money.

Now I see your point. Do we know how much was spent on CoC? I get zero =
hits for /(coc|conduct)/i on all pdfs linked from the body of =
https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/about/financials/ =
<https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/about/financials/>;

I thought i recall Deb Goodkin said that means its expenditure was =
=E2=80=9Cinsignificant=E2=80=9D. I dont have a citation unfortunately =
but at some point in the last couple years i wanna say i heard numbers =
around $1000 being tossed around but it sounded like conjecture to me at =
the time. Am I anywhere near the mark? Did i miss something more =
concrete coming out?

I still don=E2=80=99t see what=E2=80=99s to get so bent out of shape =
about. Is it that y=E2=80=99all want more transparency, finer =
granularity, etc? Are coders really leaving or effectively going =E2=80=9C=
on strike=E2=80=9D over this?

> I come from a background where we say, stop it before it takes over.
> What ever bad thing appeared in the past, appeared very smooth, very
> gentle, just like this CoC.

Ok, i can hear you now. I think you=E2=80=99re saying that just about =
EVERY horrific attrocity of human rights in the history of humankind had =
at one time began with seemingly good intensions and was touted as =
innocent and reasonable. You=E2=80=99re worried our CoC is pointing in =
the direction of hindering innovation by stifling free speech and the =
exchange of ideas. You wonder if a silent majority is simply leaving =
because they recognize this with their gut intuition but are not as =
vocal, opinionated or invested as those spearheading the controversy. =
(?)

Am i close? I have hardly taken in very much of this saga. I=E2=80=99ve =
mostly tried to ignore it and not let it distract me from my work or my =
participation in The Project.

May I politely ask your background, out of curiosity? Is it that =
you=E2=80=99re German or Jewish? Would that be a fair question or an =
inappropriate presumption? I think i can also feel a bit of what =
you=E2=80=99re saying now, that i=E2=80=99m not quite sure if i=E2=80=99m =
running afoul of the CoC in asking that question and now my anxiety says =
i should just shut up and leave.

> The Nineties are over, yes, but is civilisation also over?

I don=E2=80=99t think civilization was ever at risk of ending. Lawd, i =
hope this isn=E2=80=99t the end of civility in the FreeBSD project.

Maybe I=E2=80=99m being melodramatic but this brings to mind something i =
read once along the lines of: A peace maintained by force or restriction =
cannot be sustained and will eventually explode violently or crumble =
chaotically. Or: Without freedom there can be no liberty. Without =
liberty there can be no justice. Without justice there can be no lasting =
peace.

> Of course, people can work on FreeBSD with the new CoC. But do they
> have to work?

I=E2=80=99m sorry, i don=E2=80=99t think i caught your meaning here.=