Date:      Wed, 8 Feb 2012 19:12:38 -0000
From:      "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org, Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: kern/161899: Repeating RTM_MISS packets causing high CPU load for ntpd

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
>> Running the following commands does indeed stop this
>> route add -inet6 ::ffff:0.0.0.0 -prefixlen 96 ::1 -reject
>> route add -inet6 ::0.0.0.0 -prefixlen 96 ::1 -reject
>>
>> I found these in /etc/rc.d/network_ipv6 but I can't see why
>> these wouldnt be run on a machine that doesn't have an IPv6
>> address, they seem to be added correctly on machines that do.
>
> Speculation: the machine(s) which didn't have the routes maybe
> didn't have
>
> ipv6_enable="YES"
>
> in /etc/rc.conf?

Doh!

Indeed they don't so of course /etc/rc.d/network_ipv6 doesnt
start but IPv6 is in the kernel and ipv6 is configured on lo0 via
/etc/rc.d/auto_linklocal so it looks like ipv6 is enabled even
though it isnt.

Given this would a reasonable patch be to move the internal routing
to auto_linklocal i.e. these lines:-
    # disallow "internal" addresses to appear on the wire
    route add -inet6 ::ffff:0.0.0.0 -prefixlen 96 ::1 -reject
    route add -inet6 ::0.0.0.0 -prefixlen 96 ::1 -reject

Seems the relavent fix was part of a much bigger commit:-
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=197139

So it may not be easy to patch this into 8.x

    Regards
    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.