Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 20:56:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        ckempf@enigami.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compilers: 2.8.1 v 2.7.2.1?

According to Terry Lambert:
> > gcc is too crucial to haphazardly upgrade until its stability is well
> > understood.  Since 2.8.1 has only been out for a few weeks, I wouldn't
> > look for an update to occur any time soon.  (I could be wrong, Peter, jdp?)
> > As a point in case, 2.8.1 appeared with a week or two of 2.8.0.
> >
> > Additionally, if I understand the situation, 2.8.1 probably does not
> > contain the necesssary files to compile a.out format.
>
> Bullocks.  8-).  The a.out problems are that you can't make a.out
> using the FSF binutils, not that you can't make a.out with the
> FreeBSD ld program *not* from binutils.

Mea Culpa!  I hate spreading misinformation.  Yes, I confused the
binutil issues with gcc 2.8.1.  However, my 1st paragraph above
still stands (i.e., newest isn't always the best).

> Exceptions will not work with pthreads unless you are running 2.8.x
> g++ or better.  This is as good a reason as any

FWIW, I've been using egcs-1.0.x for testing g77.  On my simple,
real-world benchmark (my code :-), g77 is giving about a 22% increase
in execution speed over f77 (f2c+gcc).

Hopefully, whne the next gcc upgrade is merged into -current, g77
will be brought into the tree.  (Hint, hint).

--
Steve

finger kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~clesceri/kargl.html