Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 06:54:41 -0500
From:      "Dragon Fire" <dragonfire820@mediaone.net>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PCI Device Drivers

I'm writing a very simple PCI device driver that, basically, needs to
allocate PCI resources, provide 2 ioctls, then deallocate PCI resources on
shutdown.

The documentation on writing FreeBSD device drivers is sketchy at best. Does
anybody have any good resources? Even a pointer to a simple driver would be
helpful, many of the drivers in the source tree are SCSI or RAID drivers
which are far more complicated than what I need. I've begun ripping these
apart but if there are more resources available I'd like to get my hands on
them.

Also, I've begun to piece the driver together, but the most notable piece of
missing information is how to have the driver loaded, is kvmload the way to
go?.

There used to be a series of files to edit to add your source into the
kernel build and add your device into the kernel config file. I'm missing
the equivalent pieces of information for a loadable driver.

Thanks in advance,