Date:      Mon, 1 Jan 2001 11:33:38 +0100
From:      Michel Talon <michel@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need Assistance ASAP -- PLEASE

On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 07:06:21PM -0500, Brandon L. Newport wrote:
> Ok here is the deal, I am setting up a new server for a company (just happens to be my fathers).  He has heard many things about Linux and has an NT server currently.  The problem he "knows Windows really good", so about once a week he breaks things and calls me of course.  He heard Linux was faster, better and of course cheaper than NT.  So he wanted to go that route.  However because I am technical support for him I would like to use FreeBSD instead.
>
> I know Linux pretty well.  I work with Solaris and NT but I dont know FreeBSD.  I am the the newbie stages of learning it.
>
> Here is the big problem, He just brought the parts for the server I spec'd out by yesterday.  I have configured it and actually have FreeBSD installed.  However I cannot get a few things working and it has to up and running by next Sunday 100%!!!!
>
> So here is the machine:
>
> Supermicro Motherboard P6DGU  (Dual Processor, onboard SCSI, USB)
> Duel PIII - 650MHz processors
> 256MB RAM
> 9G IBM SCSI
> 4G IBM SCSI
> 2G Seagate SCSI
> 18G IBM SCSI
> Matrox G450 32MB
> Hitachi 17" Monitor
> Yamaha CD-RW

There may be a problem with the Matrox G450. We have received some at the lab,
and up to now, the guy in charge has not been able to run X on these video
cards (under Linux). I have read the XFree4.02 doc, and apparently it can run the G450
with some additionnal soft to be downloaded somewhere.

All the other parts and softs are very standard, and can be installed on
FreeBSD exactly the same as under Linux.

--
Michel Talon