Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 18:02:52 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <perlsta@sunyit.edu>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP? (fwd)

  I have a couple of questions about SMP, what boards do i have to watch
out for, not working?

  I was recently considering, just to experiment (it would kill my budget
though) to buy my roomate's P150 chip (real bargain) then buy a dual
pentium mb plus another P150.  The whole thing will cost me almost 400$,
is it worth it?  The thing is I just read that dual pentiums are nothing
compared to dual pentium pros, is this true (especially running at 150mhz)

 What kind of performance increase could i expect over a single P150?

 Last general question, is the SMP kernel stable as of now and are the
same drivers and ports available for it?

 I would like to contribute to the testing of the SMP system, is there
anything i can do?  Since the machine would sit idle excpet me running a
little X here, and httpd/nfs/samba i wouldn't mind giving access to some
of the SMP team. The machine is just a project for me.

 Since i'm not too 'up' on the staying current idea, maybe a pointer to
the information needed to keep the kernel current would be helpful for me.

 As far as coding i understand a lot of operating system
issues/multiprocessing, multi-cpu is a little weird for me though, but i
am very interested.

 Thanks in advance,
Alfred
perlsta@sunyit.edu