Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 05:47:15 -0800
From:      Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Patrick Hartling <patrick@137.org>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: you need to install a new kernel before an installworld.

* De: Patrick Hartling <patrick@137.org> [ Data: 2002-10-28 ]
	[ Subjecte: Re: HEADS UP: you need to install a new kernel before an installworld. ]
> Peter Wemm wrote:
> > Due to sigaction(2) syscall number changes, doing a 'make installworld'
> > without having booted a new kernel would be rather messy.  For example, if
> > you tried to reboot with the old kernel, /sbin/init and /bin/sh would get a
> > signal and abort. That would be bad.
>
> Does this apply to ports as well?  GNOME applications have started
> crashing a lot all of a sudden after updating my kernel (I haven't done
> 'installworld' yet).  Do I need to rebuild all the GNOME stuff, or
> should I just back off to my previous kernel and wait a little while
> longer before doing another cvsup?

Really?  My GNOME apps built from 2 months (up to 2 hours) ago have been
working better as I run kernel+world nearer to the impending release.

What sorts of problems are you running into?  Also, how old was your
kernel, and how old is your userland?  With no more info, I'd prolly
advise you to update everything to the latest, and if problems persist,
rebuild your GNOME stuff, and if problems persist, throw exception...

But the latter bits of that are a bit drastic, depending on the hw!
--
Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>       | FreeBSD: The Power To Serve
Will break world for fulltime employment. | finger jmallett@FreeBSD.org