Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 14:17:17 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Forrest <praxis@techpraxis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Any luck with BIND 9?

Forrest wrote:

> When installing the BIND 9 port, do you have to deinstall the BIND 8 port?
> The announcement for BIND 9 says that certain programs still require
> libraries contained within 8.

	Those libraries are already built into the freebsd system. Before running
bind 9 you should delete any bind 8 ports you have installed.

> Any of you out there successfully running BIND 9 on a 4.2-STABLE or 4.3-BETA
> system? What procedure did you go through when enabling BIND 9?

	You should read the documentation that comes with bind 9, especially the
migration guide and the ARM. Also, make sure that you install 9.1.1rc4,
which our port was recently updated to. Other than being stricter about
syntax in your zone files, bind 9 is not _that_ much different than bind 8
for simple installations, but it pays to read up on things ahead of time.

Good luck,

Doug
--
    Perhaps the greatest damage the American system of education has done
    to its children is to teach them that their opinions are relevant