Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 17:54:49 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Chris Thain <thain@bcinternet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Regarding FreeBSD

Hi,

> 	Hello. My name is Chris Thain and just recently I installed the
> 2.2.6-Release of FreeBSD. I have to tell you that I am extreamly happy
> with my new operating system.

Great!  We're (me speaking for everyone here) happy you like it.

> I have a couple of questions regarding accessing files via. my CDROM
> drive and my 3 1/2" floppy drive.

Let's take these 2 separately.

CD-ROM - what do you want to use this for?  If you want to play music and
that's all then you shouldn't have to do anything other than use an
appropriate piece of software to play it for you.  I use and like xmcd.
Is this an ATAPI/IDE or SCSI CD?  In any case, let's pretend it's a ATAPI.
If you've configured the CD-ROM to be found in your kernel you can have a
look at /etc/fstab.  You should have an entry like:

/dev/wcd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0

(a scsi drive has /dev/cd0c I think)

If you want to mount this and read data off a CD you should do something
like:

	mount /cdrom

For more detailed info see:

	http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ84.html

For floppies, I prefer to use mtools rather than mounting the floppy
device.  Mtools is in the ports (/usr/ports/emulators/mtools if you
installed the ports tree).  It allows you to do all the normal DOS
commands on a floppy without having to mount it.  You can grab the package
at ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/packages-2.2.6/emulators if you don't
like ports.  They should be on the FreeBSD CD too if you installed from
CD-ROM.

> I have also had trouble with setting up a User PPP connection.
> "Error: OpenModem failed: /dev/cuaa1: Device not configued"

Do you have the following in your kernel?

	pseudo-device tun 1

If not you'll need to do that.  You'll also need to check that you have a
/dev/cuaa1.  If not you can make one by:

	cd /dev
	./MAKEDEV cuaa1

Hope this helps (I don't use PPP - T1 at work, soon a T1 at home).

Brett
Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu
http://peloton.physics.montana.edu/brett/

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist,
 as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."
					 -   Popular Science, 1891