Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 20:02:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        rivers@dignus.com (Thomas David Rivers)
Cc:        dkelly@hiwaay.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASUS P2B-S and FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE

> > Thomas David Rivers writes:
> > >
> > >  The P2B comes in several "flavors"
> > [...]
> > >  they all have the same on-board SCSI controller.
> >
> > Yeah, but sometimes making the assumption that things are identical is
> > the cause of lots of grief.
>
>  Yep - I've been there too :-)
>
>  But, I also have another tenet - when you don't think X is the problem,
> it likely isn't - even if it was 10,000 times before.  That's an even
> more difficult idea to stick to... (I *know* I solved problems this
> way in the past - it just _has_ to be the same thing...)
>
>  And - just to keep everyone who's interested up-to-date; I just
> tried an FTP install and got an integer divide panic.  Certainly
> not something most people get :-)  And, likely not caused by the
> SCSI sub-system.

I suspect memory at this point... given your other failure modes of
data corruption (checksum errors from cpio), kernel panics, etc.

>  So - I'm guessing, at this point, I've got something mis-configured
> on the motherboard.  By the way - has anyone used a PIII-450 on an
> ASUS P2B-D before?

Yes, weve built about 50 or so of them.... lets see... okay, only 30
of those where PIII-450's, others where 500's :-)  And yes, this is
specifically the P2B-D board, we don't use the P2B-DS unless someone
really insists on it, we'd rather put an NCR 53C875 in it than sell
them the -DS.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net