Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 1998 15:55:20 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Jeff Reed <jreed@BSDI.COM>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: X11 Screen width short by 1.5" on laptop

On Thu, 19 February 1998 at 21:04:18 -0700, Jeff Reed wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> OK.  Reconfigure X and tell it you have an 800x600 mode.
>
> Standard VGA 640x480  is what I started with.
> Super VGA    800x600  Gave me the same results.

What happened when you tried ctrl-alt-keypad+?

> Super VGA 1024x768 & 800x600 and Extended Super VGA 800x600 & 640x480
>    I also tried, just for fun. They gave me the entire screen (to look
>    at) but, The mouse pointer goes off the right and bottom edges of the
>    screen. Also, the usable parts of portions of the screen (even after
>    making the desktop scroll) are off the right and bottom edges of the
>    screen.

I think it's time to determine just what the resolution of this
display is.  I was guessing at 800x600, since it's the next size after
640x480.  What you're saying here suggests that this may not be the
case.  What does the manual say?

>    Many apologies for the hassles here. And I want to thank you for all
> the assistance you have been giving me on this.

You're welcome.  Just out of interest, are you really running FreeBSD
on this machine?  What does Rob think of that?

Greg