Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 10:59:56 -0900
From:      Tom Riley <axtjr@UAA.ALASKA.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   recording Serial Input

All:
I'm in the need of a method that will open and record all data coming in via
the serial port. In short, how do you read text data from a serial port?

I want to pipe the raw text data coming in via the serial port into a file,
and then on a nightly (cron job) basis to move that file to a "holding"
directory. The data will be coming from a telephone switch that only knows
how to pipe records out a serial port (so no scripting ability on that side
to do any sort of terminal login).

If anyone can provide any pointers on how to do this, I'd greatly appreciate
it!

Thanks in advance.
Tom

* Tom Riley, CNE          University of Alaska Anchorage *
* Systems Engineer	   IT Services, Engineering Team *
* axtjr@uaa.alaska.edu  		   (907)786-1256 *
*     No life ever grows great until it is focused,      *
*          dedicated, and disciplined.                   *