Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:56:21 +0200
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sten_Daniel_S=F8rsdal?= <sten.daniel.sorsdal@wan.no>
To:        "Christophe Prevotaux" <c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr>, "Brett Glass" <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: NAT and PPTP

> My own purpose for using this is securing a bit more=20
> 802.11(whatever) in a
> large WISP setup. One of my question is how many pptp or=20
> pppoe sessions=20
> can be handled by one FreeBSD box knowing each pptp or pppoe=20
> sessions have
> to be shaped traffic wise symetrically or asymetrically.=20

depends on the box, the shaping is very efficient and is in kernel.
so it's primarily the pptp and pppoe sessions that will demand =
resources.
it's almost impossible to answer.

if i said at least 30 on a celery 1ghz, you might/might not be happy =
with
that. im sure you could run twice that on the same hardware (given it's =
good hardware
and is not the cheapest sh*t you could find).

> So having the ability to shape inbound bandwidth and outbound=20
> bandwidth directly
> inside the pptpd and pppoe thru radius and directly (for some=20
> cases) thru ppp.conf
> would be really nice (it would require having a special=20
> dictionary for radius (I think))
> I don't know if this is achievable without too much hassle in=20
> the current PPP (PPPOE)
> code and if it is at all possible in a PPTP environment?
>=20

i use a shell script called from ppp.linkup/ppp.linkdown under the =
appropriate label
(radius supplies label as "Filter-Id").

Need it be simpler?

- Sten