Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 15:43:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Christopher Johnson <cjohnson@wcug.wwu.edu>
To:        Mark Hummel <mhumm@ispchannel.com>
Cc:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>, FSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: END OF THREAD ! [Why can't I get into the /sys directory ??]

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Mark Hummel wrote:

> My heart-felt thanks to Lowell, and all who helped me with this challenge!
>
> I'm a bit wiser now thanks to all of you.
>
> Fact:  I don't have sources for the 4.1.1 R install.
>
> Fact:  I found out that the default or main ftp site I was using for the install
> doesn't have ver 4.1.1R's sources.  (Does anyone know the URL so I can get them?)
>
> Assumption:  I can't customize or create my own kernel until I download the sources
> which includes the customizable text file for the GENERIC kernel (I know I can do a
> basic customization via sysinstall).
>

> Thanks again
>
> Mark
<snip>

I've had this problem recently.  I suggest you install the binary cvsup
package using /stand/sysinstall.  You may need to try a few different
FreeBSD mirrors to find one that works.

Once you've installed cvsup, there's a bit of configuration work:
1. Create a local make.conf (/etc/make.conf)
	If you're smart, you'll just copy only the lines you need from
/etc/defaults/make.conf to /etc/make.conf and edit them.  If you're lazy
like me, just copy the whole /etc/defaults/make.conf to /etc/make.conf and
edit it there.
	One suggestion - change the supfiles lines (near the bottom) to a
different location.  I put mine in /usr/local/etc/supfiles, this is
entirely up to you.  The reason to do this is that the supfiles get
updated through cvsup from time to time, and I hate re-editing the files
everytime I update sources.

2. Edit the supfiles.
	You'll need to edit the supfiles (/usr/share/examples/cvsup/) to
point them at a FreeBSD mirror, and also if you don't want the default
option, which is everything for that collection.  Also make sure you're
using the right release tag, for your system source supfile which is
RELENG_4 (or similar) for FreeBSD 4.x-STABLE, because '.' is 5.0-CURRENT.
If you specified an alternate location for the supfiles in step #1, you'll
need to copy the supfiles to that alternate location.

3. cd /usr/src; make update
	If I haven't forgotten a step here, cvsup should go a little nuts
updating your sources.

4. Have some coffee (or soda, or whatever)
	Since you don't have the sources, this is is going to take a
while.  Even on a T1 this will still take some time.

5. Create a new kernel config file.
	$ cd /sys/i386/conf
	$ cp GENERIC <your_kernel_name> (say, NOD)
	Then edit the new file to your needs.

6. Build a new kernel
	$ config NOD
	<fix any errors, and re-config if any>
	$ cd ../../compile/NOD
	$ make depend
	$ make
	$ make install

If I've left out a step, e-mail me with info about where you're stuck,
what steps you've taken, what I've left out, and I'll try to get you
through it.

Chris Johnson
cjohnson@wcug.wwu.edu
WCUG: lather, rinse, repeat.

P.S. /sys is just a symlink to /usr/src/sys