Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 20:09:41 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        tcobb <tcobb@staff.circle.net>
Cc:        "'shimon@simon-shapiro.org'" <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>, "freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org" <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>, "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DPT Redux

> I shutdown and rebooted machine  (SYNC failed on shutdown)
> Allowed FreeBSD to boot, it returned the following for sd1
> sd1: <DPT RAID-5 07M0> type 0 fixed SCSI 2
> sd1: Direct-Access 0MB (1 512 byte sectors)
>
> Then, system continued booting and finally panic'd with a "Page Fault in
> Supervisor Mode" error prior to mounting drives.

Did you happen to write down the details from this message?  In
conjunction with your kernel image, these are required in order to
determine what happened.

It's possible that something doesn't like being asked to boot from a
zero-sized disk.  It's also possible that something else later got
upset - it's not clear where in the chain of events the panic occurred
(see above).

Thanks for the extra info.  Are you able to simulate the failure by eg.
disconnecting one of the 'active' drives?  If you can't do this on a
regular basis, I believe we are able to arrange temporary access to a
similar but idle system where this can be simulate.  Simon may also be
able to offer some suggestions inre. possible poor interaction between
the dpt driver and some firmware revisions.