Date:      Wed, 06 Dec 2000 00:20:16 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Scott Stegmiller <stegs@gblx.net>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netgear FA410TXC

In message <200012060120.aa34104@salmon.maths.tcd.ie> Ian Dowse writes:
: Apply the patch in /usr/src/sys/dev/ed, then recompile + install
: the kernel and reboot (the patch below has a few extra cosmetic
: changes I made since yesterday).

These patches look OK.  Some refinement is likely necessary before
they can be included in -current.  I've not tested these with my
problem child cards yet.  Will do that later.

I'd be inclind to move the pccard specific into if_ed itself.  I've
heard that there are some newer ISA parts that have this same problem.
I've not been able to find out if this is true or not, nor find
specific parts that do this.  I also have at least two different
pcmcia cards that have this problem that I'll have to take a look at.

Does this require the ed driver to now specify miibus?  What other doc
changes are necessary?

Bruce likely would comment that some of your changes related to
callouts add too many blank lines.  That's a nit.

The spl stuff that you've done won't work in -current since spl is now
a nop.  We'll need to do someting there.

I'm not sure that I'd code fa410 into the miibus name, since there are
other cards (dlink makes one and I think linksys does too, but I've
been known to get them confused).

I'm not too familiar with miibus, but there seems to be more code here
than in the other drivers that use the mii bus.  Is that because the
stuff really is different, or is it a reflection of the fa-select
legacy?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see these problems corrected in
-current and -stable.  I hope to have this into -current and -stable
way before 4.3 is out.

Warner