Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 1999 14:53:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Brett B. Lanham" <lanhabb@hera.wku.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   X

I just installed freebsd in a virtual machine (VMware).  I don't think
that matters but now you know.  I was wanting to run XFree86 on this
virtual machine so I selected what I thought was all the packages for X
during the post install procedure.  now that I have the machine up and
running (or virtual machine that is) I don't know how to get X
started.  I've looked around the system and I can't find 'startx' or
anything else that I was a customed to under linux.  I wanted to try to
ports stuff out so I decide to just do a make install from
/usr/ports/x11/XFree86 but when I did I got this message:
<begin messages>
===> Patching
===> Applying patches for XFree86-3.3.5
Ignoring previously applied (or reversed) patch.
1 out of 1 hunks ignored--saving rejects to lib/X11/imConv.c.rej
*** Error code 1

Stop.
<end messages> the last three lines repeated about 6 times.
Also since to see what the message actually was so I could post it here I
ran make install again so obviuosly it didn't run back through retrieval
or extraction of the tarball.  well what am I doing wrong and how do I get
X started?

Brett