Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 1997 16:57:25 -0600
From:      keyser@clio.rice.edu (Kevin Keyser)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dump to remote host causes panic: sbdrop

I recently acquired a 486/33 (host1) on which I installed 2.2.5R
from the CDROM.  The machine has no CD drive of its own or ethernet
(yet), so I installed over lp0 using NFS from a machine (host2)
with a CD.  No problem.

Later, just experimenting, I attempted to do a dump(8) from host1
to a tape drive on host2 "dump -a -f host2:/dev/rst0 /usr".
Somewhere in pass IV (regular files) all disk activity on host1
stopped.  After giving it about 5 minutes, I hit ^C and answered
"yes" to abort the dump.  host1 then rebooted (no panic message,
just "syncing disks...  automatic reboot in 15 sec..., and nothing
in /var/log/messages once it came back up).

Meanwhile, host2 (which is still running 2.2.2R) gave the message
"panic: sbdrop" and also rebooted.  Looking in the source, I found
sbdrop() in /usr/src/sys/kern/uipc_socket2.c but I do not know the
context well enough to understand what circumstances cause the
panic condition.  Both before and after all this took place the
network connection worked fine for everything else (telnet, ftp,
NFS, etc.).

Can anyone tell me what sort of event in general will cause a
"panic: sbdrop"?

Was there something wrong with what I was trying to do?  Or am I
asking too much from lp0 as a network interface?

Thanks.

Kevin