Date:      17 Nov 2002 14:44:24 -0800
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com>, FreeBSD Questions LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Seeking command similar to dd

Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com> writes:

> The weird thing is that right after the burncd session finished, I was able
> to "ls -al" the cd (can't remember if it was mountable or not...)

For "ls" to work on it, it must have been both mountable and mounted.

> Does it sound like not having put "fixate" on the end has made this CD
> never again readable?  It's ok because I archived the data anyways.  But
> please comment.

Re-read my previous message (or Adam's).

> Thanks for the tip.  Is there a command line that makes the CD bootable in
> any drive?  For example, I've read the manpage and it looks as though you
> can add -h for Macs and HFS, and -r for RockRidge extensions which get
> around 8.3 format and... a couple other filename affecting flags...?

Adam answered this better than I could.  Just for kicks, I'll note that
you might also want to make CDs that are bootable in NO drive.  Just
"dd bs=2k" a file onto the CD and "dd bs=2k" it back off.  Usually a
huge tar file or disk partition or such.  It saves mkisofs time, but
you can't "ls" it, etc.