Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:03:19 -0600
From:      Mike Holloway <mikhollo@cisco.com>
To:        freebsd-proliant@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID monitoring tools

Whoops, meant to copy the list...

Appreciate the pointer to camcontrol, I previously had just been
using swatch to watch syslog and send messages to nagios via nsca.
My problem was that I never knew the initial state of the disks until
an event happened in syslog.

For reference, here's what I saw from camcontrol during my tests
(FreeBSD 6.0 rel):

During normal operation of the raid:
# camcontrol inquiry da0 -D
pass0: <COMPAQ RAID 1  VOLUME OK> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device

After removing one of the raid member disks:
# camcontrol inquiry da0 -D
pass0: <COMPAQ RAID 1  VOLUME inte> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device

After re-inserting the raid member disk:
# camcontrol inquiry da0 -D
pass0: <COMPAQ RAID 1  VOLUME reco> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device

And about 45 minutes later:
# camcontrol inquiry da0 -D
pass0: <COMPAQ RAID 1  VOLUME OK> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device

And here's the configuration I use for swatch to feed nsca in realtime:

watchfor   /ciss0.*removed/
         exec "/usr/local/bin/nsca_report 2 \"Disk Array\" Hot-plug
drive removed"

watchfor   /ciss0.*failure/
         exec "/usr/local/bin/nsca_report 2 \"Disk Array\" Physical
drive failure"

watchfor   /ciss0.*inserted/
         exec "/usr/local/bin/nsca_report 1 \"Disk Array\" Hot-plug
drive inserted"

watchfor   /ciss0.*recovery->recovering/
         exec "/usr/local/bin/nsca_report 1 \"Disk Array\" Drive is
rebuilding..."

watchfor   /ciss0.*recovering->OK/
         exec "/usr/local/bin/nsca_report 0 \"Disk Array\" Drive has
successfully rebuilt."

For completeness, here's the nsca_report script that I use to send
the alarms to nagios, substitute your own thishost and -H:

#!/bin/bash

outcode=$1
thisservice=$2

thishost=`echo $HOSTNAME | sed -e "s/\./ /g" | cut -f 1 -d ' '`

shift
shift

echo -e "${thishost}\t${thisservice}\t${outcode}\t$*\n" | /usr/local/
bin/send_nsca -H www -c /usr/local/etc/send_nsca.cfg 2>&1 >> /dev/null

-mike