Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 10:42:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        c9707010@alinga.newcastle.edu.au, chrisc@vmunix.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Speed of FreeBSD

>Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 00:52:54 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Chris Coleman <chrisc@vmunix.com>

>On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Stewart Heckenberg wrote:

>> Anyone notice that when sometimes looking for a man page, it takes a
>> little while to load?

>The times when it takes "a little while" to load a man page is because
>they are in a compressed format.  When it says "formatting man page..." it
>is uncompressing them.  If you access that man page again, you won't see
>that message, and it will load much faster. The man pages are then
>recompressed if they are not accessed after a certain amount of time.

With respect, I believe that's slightly incorrect.

The "formatting man page..." message refers to translating the page from
the typesetting language that's used to write the man pages to whatever
display medium you chose.  (The typesetting language" is based on nroff
& troff; in a FreeBSD environment, I'd expect that groff would normally
be used.)

BTW, if you happen to have a PostScript printer available, it's possible
to make some rather nice-looking "man pages" by

	man -t whatever | lpr

(where "whatever" isthe subject of the man page you're interested in.)

And to further demonstrate my weird perceptions... [gnt]roff have been
used historically for a variety of purposes... including some of the
more useful UNIX-oriented books around....

All that said, I believe that Chris' comments regarding the
re-compression are essentially correct.  (I looked around at the
sources; on my 2.2.6-RELEASE system, I don't find the "formatting man
page" message at all....)

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621