Date:      Sun, 1 Nov 1998 14:13:36 +0100 (CET)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        dfr@nlsystems.com (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp, jhay@mikom.csir.co.za, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kld screensavers

According to Doug Rabson:
> Thats more or less what I was suggesting.  Simple screen savers wouldn't
> even need an event handler.  Maybe something like:
[suggestion removed]

While this is being discussed, I'd like to bring something up that I've
wanted for a long time, and brought up before. Why not make to so that
each screensaver register itself with a timeout, a priority and a flag
that says if it's fallthrough or not? That way you can have multiple
screensavers installed, and they get called as approriate.

I haven't looked at the current code, I'm affraid, so go easy on me.
Example:

Three screensavers:  (say default prio is 5)

lock:     prio 1, 10 minutes, fallthrough  (Demands password to release screen)
green:    prio 4, 20 minutes               (Turn screen off)
stars:    prio 5, 5 minutes                (Twinkle, twinkle, little star)

Right... So this happens if you idle:

After 5 minutes the stars saver kicks in and the screen gets full of stars.

After 2 minutes you press a key and the screen is returned to normal.

After 5 more minutes the stars saver kicks back in.

After 5 more minutes the lock saver kicks in, steals the "release" event,
and then does nothing... Stars saver "twinkle" routine is still getting
called as usual, but lock's "twinkle" routine gets called first, and just
returns "ok to fallthrough", which make the stars one continue.

After 10 more minutes the green saver kicks in, and demands to be run. It
gets scheduled after lock, because of its prio and therefor the screen is
turned off, since lock's "twinkle" is still returning "ok to fallthrough",
and the fallthrough now calls "green", which just sees to that the screen
is off, and keeps off.

Now you're back from your coffee break, hit a key, and the lock saver gets
the event to return screen to normal. It steals the display and asks for
a password, and doesn't give the screen back until you type the right
password.

End example...

Now, thinking about this a bit I can see a problem with a lock saver and
the chain of calls that have to be done to wake up, etc...  But I hope you
see the picture, and maybe have a good architecture to solve this.
It sure would be very nice. I don't know my way around syscons's internals
to do the architecturing myself, however.

  /Mikael