Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:02:26 -0500
From:      "Kevin Weiss" <kweiss@austin.rr.com>
To:        "John Lengeling" <johnl@raccoon.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: natd and dhcp

Just to give you an update, here is what ifconfig -a reports:
pn0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	ether 00:a0:cc:51:b5:52
	media: 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex>
	supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <half-duplex>
100baseTX 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex>
pn1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	ether 00:a0:cc:3e:71:f3
	media: autoselect
	supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <half-duplex>
100baseTX 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex>
lp0: flags=8810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
tun0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
sl0: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 552
ppp0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
#netstat -nr
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif
Expire
10.1.1/24          link#2             UC          0        0      pn1
10.1.1.1           link#2             UHLW        0        4      pn1
127.0.0.1          127.0.0.1          UH          0        3      lo0

IPX:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif
Expire
I cannot ping or traceroute out to the internet. An example is:

# ping  216.32.74.52		<---www.yahoo.com
PING 126.32.74.52 (126.32.74.52): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: No route to host
ping: sendto: No route to host
ping: sendto: No route to host
^C
--- 126.32.74.52 ping statistics ---

my resolv.conf file looks like this:
domain animeniac.com
nameserver 10.1.1.1

I reread a part of my "DNS and BIND" (Cricket Liu) book and it
suggested that I should "domain outkast.animeniac.com".

That didn't work either.

So I guess the problem is just the startup_if.pn0? I made it exec.
#chmod 755 /etc/startup_if.pn0

Ok, maybe the cabling is wrong? I'm plugging the network cable from
the cable modem into pn0, and then the network cable from pn1 into
the 10MBit uplink.  Is this right?

I'm going to look at this later tonight.  I assume the problem is
with the dhcp part of it?  I'll look into
http://home.san.rr.com/freebsd/dhcp.html also to see what I can
pick up from there.

Later
>You should get your default route for the FreeBSD box from the DHCP
>packet.
>Now any machine on your internal LAN will have a default route of
>10.1.1.254.
>You use the netstat -nr command to list your current routing table.
>After you get an IP address for pn0, run netstat -nr and look for a
>route destination of "default" or "0.0.0.0".

>Well if you can ping/traceroute out to the internet, then we can start
>working on DNS....let me know...

To diagnose networking problem, here is what I do:

1. "ifconfig -a" = this will show all interfaces and their IP
Address/Subnet Mask, broadcast Addr.  Up and Running status.  If this
information isn't right, then you need to work on getting dhclient
working and/or edit rc.conf with the correct ifconfig_XXX= lines

2. ping closest router on the internet using IP address.  To find the
closest one's IP address, use "tracert -d www.yahoo.com" on your Win98
box.  If you can't ping your closest router on the internet, up have
some problem in #1 above or your connection to the internet is bad/down.

3. ping/telnet some host using FQDN.  This will test your DNS
resolution.  If it failed, check /etc/resolv.conf.

4. To test your local DNS server, use nslookup.