Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 12:44:51 +0200
From:      "Carroll, D. (Danny)" <Danny.Carroll@mail.ing.nl>
To:        "Bart Matthaei" <bart@dreamflow.nl>, "Mark D" <markd@cogeco.ca>
Cc:        <security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: ipfw and it's glory...

I disagree with te 1024-65535 rules.
In my experience you can get it to work without allowing all of these.

Plus the way you have it setup, if you ever have X running then port
6000 is open and I really hate that idea.
Of course most agree that X on a firewall is a bad idea(tm) but I
thought it was worth mentioning.

Nice ruleset with the Auth and ICMP stuff, I forgot about those...

-D

:First of all. Avoid using ip adresses when adressing the "self"-box.
:Use 'me' instead.=20
:
:Second, here's a basic setup that works for your situation:
:
:# Allow "local" traffic
:ipfw add allow all from any to any via lo0
:
:# Allow all outgoing trafic
:ipfw add allow all from any to any out
:
:# Allow IP fragments (for more info, see ipfw manpage)
:ipfw add allow all from any to any frag
:
:# Allow established tcp connections
:ipfw add allow tcp from any to any established
:
:# Allow tcp connections to the box > 1024 (In order to make
:# various clients work on the box)
:ipfw add pass tcp from any to me 1024-65535 setup
:
:# Allow udp connections to the box > 1024 (same shit)
:ipfw add pass udp from any to me 1024-65535
:
:# Allow dns querys
:ipfw add allow udp from any to any 53
:
:# Allow the trusted ip's to the ssh port
:ipfw add allow tcp from $trusted_ip1 to me 22
:ipfw add allow tcp from $trusted_ip2 to me 22
:
:# Allow ftp, smtp, http and pop and auth (I'm sure you want that)
:ipfw add allow tcp from any to me 21,25,80,110,113 setup
:
:# I've added auth. If you don't want auth, make sure to reset all
:#traffic going to port 113, or ident lookups to your box will time-out.
:#use 'reset tcp from any to me 113'
:
:# Allow icmptypes 0 3 8 and 11
:ipfw add allow icmp from any to any icmptypes 0,3,8,11
:
:# Deny everything else
:ipfw add deny all from any to any
:
:This is a basic setup. Add more rules for specific network setups.
:ipfw isn't difficult, you just need to figure the syntax and specific
:options out.
:
:Cheers,
:
:Bart
:
:--=20
:Bart Matthaei                 bart@dreamflow.nl=20
:
:If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
:
-----------------------------------------------------------------=0A=
ATTENTION:=0A=
The information in this electronic mail message is private and=0A=
confidential, and only intended for the addressee. Should you=0A=
receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified that=0A=
any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of this=0A=
message is strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender by=0A=
reply transmission and delete the message without copying or=0A=
opening it.=0A=
=0A=
Messages and attachments are scanned for all viruses known.=0A=
If this message contains password-protected attachments, the=0A=
files have NOT been scanned for viruses by the ING mail domain.=0A=
Always scan attachments before opening them.=0A=