Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 1997 02:28:37 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Kenneth Merry <ken@housing1.stucen.gatech.edu>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: success!!

Hi,

>	Well, I'm writing this from my machine, running X, with all of the
>cards installed an autoconfigured by the BIOS, with an APIC_IO kernel,
>using version 1.4 of the MP spec.

this is great news!!!

---
> Also, I ran mptable tonight, with all the
>cards installed, and noticed that NINTR=15 had changed to NINTR=17.
> I installed an additional ethernet card last
>night, and it wasn't working properly with the SMP kernels.  That was most
>likely because of the number of interrutps.

if there are too few INTR slots compiled into the kernel it SHOULD panic
during the boot:

i386/i386/mp_machdep.c:

intEntry( IntEntry entry, int* intr )
{
    int	x;

    if ( (x = (*intr)++) == NINTR )
	panic( "too many INTs, increase 'NINTR'\n" );
}

so when you "hung", I wonder if it was just a panic() call that didn't print
properly?  I thought I was seeing this sort of behaviour in the past, and
coded all my panic calls to look like:

 printf( "message\n" );
 panic( "\n" );

a few cleanups ago I removed all that stuff because it looked so ugly and
unnecessary.  Why don't you try decrementing NINTR by 1 or 2 and rerunnning
config/make and see if it panic()s or if it "hangs".

I may have gotten "too clever" by counting INT sources with mptable.  If
NINTR is undefined the kernel source defaults to 24, which works fine with
all IO APICs, just wastes a little space.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD