Date:      Sun, 03 Oct 1999 14:09:33 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        "Stephen A. Derdau" <sderdau@ne.mediaone.net>
Cc:        "Questions @ FreeBSD" <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: netstat ?

"Stephen A. Derdau" wrote:

> I've been working on setting up my system for a little more security.
> I've been looking at this link for information.
> http://www.bellnetworks.net/cs/showrec.php3?story_id=3
>
> doing a netstat -a  I see the following
>
> are these anything to be concerned about  in regards to security issues
> ?:
> that is I don't see refrence to anything regarding icmp

	It's used for a lot of things related to the soft underbelly of TCP/IP
networking. There's lot of books that explain this in more detail, but
it is needed and it won't hurt anything.

>  or *.6011 *.6010.

	Those are opened up by ssh to do X forwarding. I believe that someone
else mentioned the sockstat program. If you're not already using
3.3-Stable you should upgrade asap. That would be a very valuable first
step in security, more so depending on how old your current freebsd
installation is.

> I'm not sure what these are and I'd like to be able to understand it a
> little more.
>
> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address
> (state)
> udp        0              0              *.bootpc                   *.*

	This is the dhcp client port.

Hope this helps,

Doug
--