Date:      Sat, 18 Sep 1999 08:05:35 -0000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "Glen Rushing" <glen@dfsi.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Another newbies list  Inquiry

I'm relatively new to *nix generally after years of NT4 ..... I messed
around with the
"toy" nixes before getting FreeBSD some weeks ago. It took a bit of learning
get past enough of the the weirdness to get it functional in a basic form,
but its certainly
proven to be a lot more reliable for server work than NT4 ever was ...... I
don't know
that I'd ever use it for desktop applications as I haven't had good
experiences with KDE
and I just can't come to grips with the likes of the "mount" insanity
endemic to all CLI mode
*nixes. I use a combination of Win98 / Win2000 / Solaris / SCO for
applications other than
the server as they do what I want in particular situations. As for the
"acquire" issue, I've never
been able to install FreeBSD satisfactorily any other way than from CD ....
that always works
well for me. In theory at least you can download via FTP and install
directly or from floppy,
but I've never been able to get that to work and judging from the mailing
list a bunch of others
have had similar problems ...... at least the CD thing works without fuss

>     What is the consensus here on the best way to acquire FreeBsd?
> Download it off the FTP site or order the CDROM distribution?   If
> downloading is the best answer, is there a LIST of which files are needed
> download?  I looked at the FTP site and wasn't sure WHICH files I needed
> download.  I'll be installing initially over a WIN 98 machine, then later
> over my WINNT machines if all works out well enough.
>     Don't TAR & FEATHER me now but I am currently a WINNT user as an ISP
and
> am looking into FreeBsd since it appears to require much less
RAM/RESOURCES