Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 12:24:35 -0700
From:      Steve Sizemore <steve@cmpharm.ucsf.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Yet another 3C589D problem

Dear support system:

I've got a new Acer Extensa 390 with FreeBSD 2.2.6 installed from
CDROM. I also installed the latest PAO. I'm trying to get ethernet
working, and before buying a PC card, I've borrowed my wife's
Etherlink III to ty it out. Needless to say, it's not working, else I
wouldn't be asking for help. However, the symptoms are not quite the
same as any other problems that I've seen posted (or answered).

Before I go any further, let me reiterate that I haven't actually
purchased a card, so if anyone can recommend a different card known to
work in this system, I'll be happy to make that choice.

The situation is that my kernel actually does recognize the ethernet
card (as ep0) when inserted, and correctly ifconfigs it, so that I
appear to be on the network. However, it is so slow that it is
unusable. A ping to another machine on the local network show 92%
packet loss, and the average round trip time is 97000 ms. Similar
results when I ping this machine from another on the subnet. I know
that the hardware is OK, since I can swap ethernet ports with another
machine and the problem stays with the 3C589D. I've even gone to the
(excruciatingly painful) extent of configuring it under Windows 95,
and it works flawlessly.

Has anyone seen anything like this, or have any suggestions? (If the
answer involves running the 3Com install program from DOS, I'm out of
luck, because the versions that I have won't run with Windows 95
installed, and I don't have an older version to try.)

Thanks for any help...
Steve

----------------------------------------------#-----#--#####---------------
                                              #     # #     #
 Steve Sizemore                               #     # #
 Dept. of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology #     # #
 Box 0450, Room HSE-1285                      #     # #
 University of California Medical Center      #     # #     #
 513 Parnassus Avenue                          #####   ##### #####  #######
 San Francisco CA 94143-0450                                #     # #
                                                            #       #
 steve@cmpharm.ucsf.edu                                      #####  #####
 (415) 476-6987  FAX: (415) 476-6515                              # #
                                                            #     # #