Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 100 00:04:42 +0100 (MET)
From:      Thomas Graichen <graichen@omega.physik.fu-berlin.de>
To:        rsh124@cs.usask.ca (Malachai)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation Troubles

> I'm trying to install FreeBSD 2.1.0 (stable) on an Intel 386sx with 4MB
> (I know, I know...not "recommended", but I'd like to toy with it first).
> I'm installing from floppies and have created the boot.flp raw image (and
> the root.flp raw image as well).  The FreeBSD boot starts up fine, but
> after I've selected which drivers to disable (and I've tried the default
> boot method AND the "-c" option as well), I get this:
>
> npx0: 387 emulator
> rootfs is 1000 Kbyte compiled in MFS
>
> I assume that's normal...but this next part likely isn't:

> fault virtual address     = 0x0
> fault code                = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer       = 0x8: 0xf18c82d
> code segment              = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x16
>                           = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor flags           = interrupt enables, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process           = 1 (swapper)
> interrupt mask            = net tty bio
> panic: page fault
>
> syncing disks... done
>
> Automatic reboot in 15 seconds -- press a key on the console to abort

5 mbyte is the minimum to _install_ - FreeBSD may _run_ on less

                                                   __||
  Perfection is reached, not when there is no  __||     thomas graichen
  longer anything to add, but when there   __||    freie universitaet berlin
  is no longer anything to take away   __||           fachbereich physik
                                   __||
  - Antoine de Saint-Exupery - __||        graichen@mail.physik.fu-berlin.de