Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 07:14:20 -0500
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XML interface to CVS

On 27 Mar 2002 at 13:14, Roman Neuhauser wrote:

> > Ahh, I see.  No, not for feeding in older commits.  But for feeding in
> > the latest commits to HEAD.  That will server as the start point.
> > Without that, you don't have any ports in FP, users can't browse, they
> > can't add things to their watch list, etc.
>
>     This raises a few more questions that could've been answered if I
>     could see the source. Is FP/FS open source? If so, where can I get
>     it?

But your questions won't be answered by reading the source.  I think the
block you are experiencing is the point of view you are taking.  Don't
think of FP/FS as being a news site.  Think of it as being a database.  In
the database are all the ports.  You go in, select the ports you want, and
add them to your watch list.

Let's start with an empty database.  That's not much fun for the user.
They have nothing to add to their watch list because the database is
empty.  If a port were only added to the database when a commit occurs, it
would take years to get all the ports included.

So rather than start with an empty database, we populate the database with
all of the ports.  One way to do this is:

 - cvsup port-supfile
 - use 'find' to create a list of the ports
 - process this information and add entries to the database

Alternatively, I could obtain this data in an XML format using some
command line function which grabs the infomration I need.
--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/ - practical examples