Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:45:24 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ben Williams <williamsl@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: junk pointer in realloc() ?

Ben Williams wrote:

> I ran across something a little odd this evening when telnet'ing to my
> "venerable" (2.2.5-RELEASE) system.
>
> --------------------terminal copy-n-paste--------------------
> $ telnet core
> Trying 208.150.25.3...
> Connected to core.instantemail.net.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> inetd in realloc(): warning: junk pointer, too low to make sense.
> --------------------terminal copy-n-paste--------------------
>
> What does this inetd line mean?

It means someone did realloc(some_pointer, some_size) in inetd and
some_pointer wasn't a valid pointer.  That's basically rephrasing the error
message, so I might not be being too helpful here. :-)

I'll I can suggest is you upgrade that machine at least to 2.2-STABLE if
you don't want a more major upgrade than that.  If you don't even want
to do that, you could check out src/usr.sbin/inetd from RELENG_2_2 and
just rebuild inetd.  That still might not fix it, I think some more bugs
like this in inetd have been fixed since RELENG_2_2, and using a more
recent inetd probably wouldn't work on RELENG_2_2.  (You could try it
though, at your own risk.  I'd pick the RELENG_3 inetd so you don't get
IPv6 stuff involved anywhere.)

The other fix is to use ssh instead of telnet. ;-)

--
Ben Smithurst                 / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D
FreeBSD Documentation Project /