Date:      Mon, 05 Feb 2001 18:32:36 -0700
From:      Drew Eckhardt <drew@PoohSticks.ORG>
To:        Jochen Kaiser <Jochen.Kaiser@rrze.uni-erlangen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why isn't /usr/include/sys/syscall.h generated by makesyscalls?

In message <20010206023002.A26837@devil.rrze.uni-erlangen.de>, Jochen.Kaiser@rr
ze.uni-erlangen.de writes:
>hi ,
>
>i am trying to play with some statistics on ip protocols. I'd like
>to implement a syscall for some funcions and I wonder why
>
>sh sr/src/sys/kern/makesyscalls.sh syscalls.master
>
>updates files in /usr/src/sys/kern/ but not the ones in
>/usr/include/sys/

Because the kernel source tree you're playing with may be inappropriate
for the machine you're building your kernel on.  For example, my current
employer sells black (metaphorically - in reality, they're more of a
dark blue or purple) boxes which run older versions of FreeBSD than
developers have on their desktop.

>Any help, including stuff I should read is very appreciated.

make install under /usr/src/sys/include will put the headers in
the right place.

make followed by make install under /usr/src/lib/libc will get
you a library with the trivial wrapper functions that make the
actual system calls.

--
For those who do, no explanation is necessary.
For those who don't, no explanation is possible.