Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 2004 08:35:55 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Vlad GALU <dudu@diaspar.rdsnet.ro>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   tun(4) issues

	Hello. I've been trying to set up a VPN server which should serve
a large number of clients. Let's say something between 500 and 1000. I'd
like to use the tun interface to do it. Now, what I observed when I tried
to create 1000 tun devices, was that their minor numbers started to cycle
every once in a while. So I guess there are replicas of my initial tun
devices. Am I wrong ? Anyway, I only see these repeating minor numbers
when browsing /dev/ from midnight commander. 'ls' shows a whole different
kind of minor numbers, written in hex. Casting those to integers results
in way larger numbers than usual, for example 196610.

	Before I start testing, am I doing something wrong here ? Should I
stop now and find another implementation ?

	Thanks in advance for any feedback.

----
If it's there, and you can see it, it's real.
If it's not there, and you can see it, it's virtual.
If it's there, and you can't see it, it's transparent.
If it's not there, and you can't see it, you erased it.