Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:44:49 +0100 (BST)
From:      Alex Hayward <xelah@xelah.com>
To:        Frans Haarman <frans@haarman.com>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: will postgresql run in a jail ?

On 24 Apr 2002, Frans Haarman wrote:

> In the developers handbook I found
>
> ``jail is a very useful tool for running applications in a secure
> environment but it does have some shortcomings. Currently, the IPC
> mechanisms have not been converted to the suser_xxx so applications such
> as MySQL cannot be run within a jail.''
>
> I was wondering if this has changed yet (running 4-STABLE), and if
> postgres uses the same mechanisms.

If you turn the jail.sysvipc_allowed sysctl on then you can use SYSV IPC
from within jails. PostgreSQL runs just fine with this turned on. It does,
however, use a single global space of SYSV IPC identifiers which means
that you can get at PostgreSQL's shared memory memory from other jails
thus losing you some of the security advantages.