Date:      Thu, 17 May 2012 15:17:29 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Handbook mirroring section

desired before commit.

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/mirror/book.html
http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/mirror/chapter.diff

More detail:

The existing mirroring section in the GEOM chapter of the Handbook uses
a workaround to add another drive and make a mirror with one existing
drive without moving data.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/geom-mirror.html

That workaround creates mirrors that FreeBSD 9 and later versions of 8
see as having invalid, overlapping areas.  The more strict tests prevent
at least FreeBSD 9 from even booting from mirrors created that way:

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.0R/relnotes-detailed.html#AEN1277

Ideally, the procedure would be able to create a single-drive mirror but
use only a limited amount of disk space on the new drive, making that
space the same size as the existing drive.  (Here's a new 80G drive, but
I only want to use 40G of space for the mirror.)  Of course this can be
done with partitions, but that is more complex and there may be
thrashing issues with multiple partitions.

It turns out to be fairly difficult to do this in a situation that will
work reliably for the average user.

I've rewritten the mirroring section to just use two new drives.

A mirror *can* be created with two different-sized drives, provided they
are both seen at the time of creation.  The smaller size is used;
exposing that size with a command-line option would be very useful.